Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS)
What is FSS?
- FSS is a voluntary five year program designed to empower you to become a homeowner.
What can the FSS program do for me?
- Our dedicated staff can help you set achievable goals for employment, education and debt issues.
- You will receive Financial Capability training to help you take control of your budget and credit.
- We will meet with you on an individual basis to assess your current circumstances, strengths, and interests, to help achieve your goals.
What is an escrow account?
- When your earned income increases you are required to pay a higher portion of your rent. The difference between the amount at the time of enrollment and the increase is deposited into a savings account, called an escrow account.
- You receive this money at the end of the FSS contract upon successful graduation from the program. Escrow money is tax free.
- You do not lose your rent voucher when your participation in this program ends.
FSS Program Eligibility & How to Apply for FSS
- You must already be receiving rental assistance through MSHDA’s Housing Choice Voucher Program.
- To apply, contact a MSHDA FSS Specialist at 517.373.9344 or a FSS Resource Coordinator at 800.318.0882.
*Eligibility & Availability requirements do apply. MMCAA staff will help to see if you qualify.