WIC Nutrition Educator
WIC NUTRITION EDUCATOR
Department: Early Childhood Services
Work Site: Midland Office
Responsible to: WIC Coordinator
- Provide maternal and child nutrition information and education to the program population using an approved lesson plan.
- Ensure quality program service delivery.
- Protect the privacy of customers/families and hold in confidence all information obtained in the course of service.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct individual nutrition education according to approved lesson plans.
- Record work performed and document encounters in participants’ charts.
- Carry out and monitor assigned components of the nutrition care plan.
- Assists the WIC Coordinator in selecting, preparing and evaluating teaching aids and materials used in the program.
- Complete necessary program documentation and record keeping in a neat and timely manner.
- Participate in personal and professional development activities.
- Knowledge of current infant formulas available to customers/families.
- Knowledge of WIC approved foods and their nutrient contributions.
- Knowledge of ways to use the WIC foods that reflect racial, cultural, and economic influences.
- Basic knowledge of food composition, maternal and child nutrition, and relationship of food to health.
- Basic knowledge of breastfeeding techniques and the ability to help with problems associated with breastfeeding.
- Ability to provide information about breastfeeding as the preferred method of feeding infant.
- Ability to relate to and communicate with customers served.
- Ability to assess participant’s comprehension of information provided.
- Knowledge of resources available in the community.
- Ability to identify and refer high risk customers/families to the local and/or state Registered Dietitian.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Qualifications:
- Bachelor Degree in Dietetics or Food/Nutrition; Physician Assistant or Registered Nurse; Master’s Degree in Human Nutrition or Public Health Nutrition.
- Complete additional trainings as required.
- Maintain confidentiality and code of ethics at all times.
- Must have Proficient Computer Skills. (Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet).
- Must have reliable transportation, a valid driver’s license, provide proof of insurance, and MMCAA’s “Insurance Carriers” driving record review.
- Successfully complete required background checks at time of hire and when requested.
- Shall provide written report by a physician stating their physical capability and freedom from communicable tuberculosis.
- Must have good communication and organizational skills, and be able to work effectively with people.
- Must be self-directed and able to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Must possess the ability to prioritize and complete tasks in order to deliver desired outcomes within allocated time frames.
- Must be willing to accept new challenges.
- The ability to navigate and effectively resolve conflict.
- Must comply with Agency tobacco free and drug free policies.
- Understand the importance of daily work attendance, and its impact on coworkers, clients, and the agency.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The candidate will also have to successfully complete Criminal History and DHS clearance procedures at time of hire and when requested at any time during employment. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.